When we began designing the S-Desk we had very clear goals about what we wanted to achieve:
- To design a wooden standing desk converter that would sit upon existing desks or tables
- To be made from sustainably sourced wood
- To be produced from sheet materials that could be CNC machined
- To produce a minimal amount of waste in manufacturing
- To require no tools or fastenings/screws to assemble
- To give the user a generous work area for a full size keyboard with plenty of room for a mouse
- To be suitable for users of different height, with easy to adjust shelf heights
- To be an attractive design that suits a variety of environments, yet is unlike anything produced before
We were pleased to be able to fulfil all of the above design criteria and after a couple of rounds of prototypes we had a product that we and our early customers were really happy with. As time has gone on and more and more people began using our wooden standing desks we have been humbled by the positive feedback from around the world and surprised by some of the uses people have found for our product.
From integrating a cat bed on one of the shelves, to being used a sitting desk for when working from the sofa, we started using the phrase ‘work surface elevator’ rather than standing desk. After all, uncommon uses require an uncommon description.